This week, another new artist for Villahangar. This time, with the protagonist of today’s MusicInTheAir Podcast, we breathe the atmosphere of the Far East: in collaboration with Ecomadjs, it is the turn of the Japanese Katie Se7en.
Katie is a well-known Japanese artist who mixes various shades of House and Techno to create an emotional world full of yin and yang of life. She tells: “I am somewhere between House and Techno. Recently more on the house side of the spectrum. Currently, I’m mostly known for Afro House, Latin Afro House, Latin House, and House. I like anything that sounds ethnic and tribal, and groovy. After dancing to my DJ set, many of my people tell me that they feel happy and hopeful and clear-hearted. Since childhood, I have had a tough life, so I try to convey a sense of hope and give positive energy. My aim in DJing is to give the power to live. I hope that a night vibing with me will help people feel hopeful that they can keep on living”.
She grew up with music: her my father was in a band, and he had a massive collection of cassettes. She explains: “Maybe since I was 9 or 10 years old, I began to listen to everything he had one by one”.
Katie Se7en has released music on several international labels, and her songs have been picked up by renowned DJ/Producer Sasha and Mixmag Asia.
She has been the resident DJ for Bump_ at WOMB since 2020, and in 2022 she played live on Abema TV, with more than 30,000 viewers. Her mixes have aired on many global radio stations, and she has enjoyed playing at Ibiza beach parties. Her ongoing party Deeep! in the heart of Tokyo’s trendy Daikanyama district is also a phenomenal success and a must-visit for anyone visiting Tokyo.
She plays in Tokyo’s best venues and events. Some of the prominent DJs she supported in Tokyo include Dubfire, Karizma, Ken Ishii, Studio Apartment, Dosem, Fernanda Martins, Layton Giordani, Kate Simko, Lee K, and Mark Knight.
Katie aims high in her artistic vision, continuously honing her production skills and creating new conceptual events. With “WEYEKIN,” an experimental live session of Afro House and live percussions, she made a buzz in the Tokyo scene. Her energy and momentum will definitely impact the electronic music scene’s future.
How long have you been working with ECOAMA RADIOSHOW? And what made you choose to collaborate with ECOAMA RADIOSHOW?
Cristina from ECOAMA contacted me on Instagram. Her vibes resonated with me, and we talked a bit about music. I chose to collaborate with ECOAMA because I love being in nature and care about our environment.
What was the key meeting that changed your path?
Okay, there is a lot of music that impacted me. When I was just a child, Beatles, the theme of “Flash Dance,” Ray Charles. And the first concert I went to was Madonna’s. Then I met The Doors, Dylan, Nirvana, CCR, Doobie Brothers. A lot of American music. I lived in L.A., so I listened to HipHop, too. You know, like, Dre, Snoop, 2PAC, and Biggie. Then came Radiohead. They changed the way I listen to music. From then on, I wasn’t just listening for pleasure. I was into all the details of musical elements and got interested in making music. That was big. After that, I listened to U.K.-Alternative a lot. I didn’t start listening 4 to the dancefloor style of music until I started DJing in 2012.
What are your hopes for your artistic future at the moment?
I make and practice music every day. I want to make music that moves people. I want to make music that’s still powerful even after 10 years.
What does it mean for you to be able to spread your music with Villahangar?
This is great because I love the music of Villahangar! They have a great brand of music that’s on point with mine. So I feel their listeners would love the music I play!
01. Dele Sosimi, Lokkhi Terra – Afro Sambroso (SEQU3L Remix) / MoBlack Records
02. Chambord – La Cumbia (Original Mix) / Abracadabra Music
03. KEENE, Cee ElAssaad – Butndaile (Original Mix) / Cacao Records
04. BLOND:ISH – Rio Secreto (Original Mix) / Abracadabra Music
05. Luciano Feat.Katy Prado – Cancion Mapuche (Original Mix) / Cadenza Lab
06. Nico de Andrea, Baron (FR) – Kebali (Original Mix) / Abracadabra Music
07. KATIE SE7EN – Deeper Woods (Original Mix) / Totem Traxx
08. Duygu Civas – Jabali (Original Mix) / Bercana Music
09. Keyano – A Voule (Extended Mix) / Deepalma
10. Malone, BLOND:ISH, The Kimonos – Bana (BLOND:ISH Touch Edit) / Abracadabra Music
11. Dor Dekel – Baraka (Original Mix) / Inward Records
12. Offkey, Hypaphnik, Kali Mija – Lutar (TekniQ Remix) / Stay True Sounds
13. AMEME, Don Bello Ni – PATCHIDO (Original Mix) / One Tribe NYC
14. Studio Apartment, Monique Bingham – Sun Ra Was Right (Kususa Remix) / N.E.O.N.
15. Ilitha Lelanga, Marimba Ensemle, DJ Qness – Mkatakata (Original Mix) / ELEMENTS