#MUSICINTHEAIR guest dj “DOUBLE DROP”
#MusicInTheAir Podcast hosts this week,
in collaboration with Epiphany and DeepHouseNorway : DOUBLE DROP
Double Drop was born in Maputo in 1992, and he soon became interested in music. In 2006, he began his adventure in the world of production in styles such as HipHop and R & B.
In 2015 he launched his first track in the genre of House Music, entitled “Riddick”, by Theory of Groove Records: a great national hit, not only for its genre of reference, because having been mentioned by “Mais” and “Music Crib”, a major national magazine and the Mozambique’s biggest digital music dissemination site, as the most downloaded track for three months.
Subsequently, Double Drop continued with publications on internationally relevant labels: Labels Lupara Records (ESP), Aaron Jackson Audiophile XXL’s Label America from their single “Gangsta”, Audio Rehab (United Kingdom), Bodhi Records (United States) , Build It Records (United States), Gangsta House Rowdy (Russia), First Edition (USA) and White Widow (Poland).
His songs have been played all over the world by DJs such as Kolombo, San Shiba, Beatangers, Aaron Jackson, Mark Radford, Marc Spence, Nytron, Wasabi, Nappi.
Nytron do Brasil, one of the most famous House Music artists in terms of Beatport sales, wanted him for a collaboration on a track that would be released by Tropical Heat (Greece).
In 2018 he took a break from music for a year, and outside the city he realized the need for a change in the music was in the making. Today, in 2020, he is back with a new creative lymph, riding on the evolution of the times but always tied to his roots.
What is the track recommended in this dj set?
Double Drop – Famba Niassa | I recommend my song “Famba Niassa”, which means “Let’s go to Niassa”, Niassa is a province of Mozambique with a beautiful biodiversity, however it has suffered a lot from sneak attacks by animals such as rhinos and elephants, for later illegal ivory and rhino horns traffic. I did the music inspiring myself in that province of my country (Mozambique), in the sense of awakening to nature conservation.
How do you approach a DJ set? What is your configuration and your way of transmitting emotions?
Well, I always try to transmit emotions, melancholy, energetic sounds and songs that give hope only with the melodies.
What music do you listen to when you take off your DJ headset?
I listen to a lot of alternative music from Mozambique, I love hip hop, basically I listen to all kinds of music, even those styles that I don’t identify with, because I think that as a producer and DJ, there is always something to learn in each song.
Your reference artists / DJs / producers or what advice do you follow?
I always look for inspiration in the songs that I think are good for me, without excluding any musical genre or size of the artist.
I have a lot of references and it ends up helping me a lot to have what some call a unique identity. Unfortunately my list of references is huge, however the name Double Drop appears very often.
01. Double Drop Ft. Myrandza – Mutaxo (Original Mix) / MoBlack (Unreleased)
02. Double Drop Ft. Myrandza – Avano (Original Mix) / MoBlack (Unreleased)
03. Double Drop Ft Ritmicki Hram – Gods In Africa (Original Mix) / Tropical Heat
04. Iorie – Zweisamkeit (Original Mix) / Klassified
05. NRFTS – Dança Com Amor Ft. Claudia Da Cunha (Original Mix) / XIBALO (Unreleased)
06. Giluuu, Navaa – Rapture (Original Mix) / XIBALO (Unreleased)
07. Cee ElAssaad, FNX OMAR, Idd Aziz – Zhele (Original Mix) / Kahina Records
08. Sky White – Children of Today (Original Mix) / Afrocentric Records
09. Double Drop – Famba Niassa (Original Mix) / TRANSA Records
10. Rude – Tribal Ship (Original Mix) / XIBALO (Unreleased)
11. Double Drop – Male Ya Mina (Original Mix) / Afrocentric (Unreleased)
12. The Hood Brodz – Carringanah (Original Mix) / XIBALO (Unreleased)
13. Wild One94 – Money (Original Mix) / XIBALO (Unreleased)
14. Double Drop Ft. Pornoeta – Freier (Original Mix) / XIBALO (Unreleased)